30 December 2006

Family

To tolerate my family, you have to be able to tolerate boredom. My dad retired when I was in college - the first time, about 20 years ago - and he and my mom have been pretty much sitting in their lounge chairs ever since, watching Judge Judy or whatever other Judge is on these days.

To tolerate Mr Stapler's family, you need to be able to tolerate ADD behavior. Conversations are begun and not finished. Arguments veer off track. Four people are talking at once while outsiders look on, bug-eyed.

I'm not sure quite which I prefer.

There is new stuff up at both Linkateria and True Employee Confessions. And please feel free to send confessions, past or present, to snackishblogATyahooDOTcom.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so do you wonder why I became a lawyer? Yikes!

Anonymous said...

So...family gatherings sound positively thrilling, I guess. Ack!

Anonymous said...

I think Mr. Stapler might be related to me. You just described my ENTIRE family.
Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

My family is just like Mr. Stapler's. I don't think any conversation has ever been finished in the history of our family. Interruption is not only accepted, it's encouraged, much to Adam's horror and chagrin.

Happy New Year! xoxo

IzzyMom said...

Oooh...tough choice but I think I'
d take boredom. Unfinshed conversations and people who can't listen drive me bonkers!

happy new year!

IzzyMom said...

PS... Do you have an RSS feed? I'm trying to add you to my Google Reader and now RSS is showing up.

SUEB0B said...

Izzy - I have it set up to feed. It should be okay, I hope.

Lynnea said...

My husband's family is like Mr. Staplers. Every time he would talk to them on the phone (in French so I didn't understand) - when he would get off I would ask,"Are you arguing with them about something?" He'd say no. They just talk animated. Gives me headaches sometimes. Latin folk. My family is the quieter type - I think it could be nice to have something somewhere in the middle. But aren't we pretty much always looking for the middle?

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a Happy New Year..

Anonymous said...

Well, at least we know the front of a rock when we see it...

Back to top