12 September 2007

The Book Meme

I haven't done a meme in forever. Grace at What if No One's Watching? tagged me.

Total number of books owned: I have had to cut waaay back since I now live in a tiny box-shaped house. I would say maybe 200, about 75 of which are cookbooks.

Last book bought: Bamboo Lemur Boys recommended a book and I bought it from Amazon today - The Disappearance of the Universe by Gary Renard. Apparently it is based on A Course in Miracles, and I have been am ACIM student, since oh, forever.

Last book read: The last book I finished is "The Great Gatsby," which I re-read when I was home on sick leave yesterday. I am working on Greg Palast's "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" which is just pissing me off so bad.

Five Books that Mean a Lot to You:
On Cooking and Food (the best food book ever written) by Harold McGee.
The Princess Bride by William Goldman, which I can practically quote from memory since I have read it maybe 200 times.
A Course in Miracles, without which I may have already committed suicide.
Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking because I never would have figured out Indian food otherwise.
An Interrupted Life by Etty Hillesum - such a beautiful inspiration.

Best Five Books You Read in the Last Year:
Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cuisine by Morimoto himself
Strange Piece of Paradise by Terry Jentz
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (God, how I wish my sis could have read this)
The Dance of Life: The Other Dimension of Time by Edward Hall
Through the Eyes of a Survivor by Colette Waddell (my friend!)

I Tag:
Super Des
Suzanne
Count Mockula

5 comments:

super des said...

oho, a nice bunch to be tagged. I'll have to do it when I get back, but in theory could count my books as I unpack them. Yeah right.

I just re-read Gatsby my self. I enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

You and I have some of the same favorites, so I've added several items to my Amazon reading list. Coolness! Thanks for the recs.

Anonymous said...

The Harold McGee book is a favorite at our house as well--and we've got a similar number of cookbooks (Mark's, not mine). I'll have to check out that Indian cookbook you listed.

Count Mockula said...

Oooh, I got tagged, I got tagged!!

Alex Elliot said...

So can you recommend a cooking book for people like me that don't really enjoy cooking but do it all the time?
Sometimes I think I don't enjoy cooking because I really don't know what I'm doing.

Back to top