26 April 2009

The March for Maddie

There was a billboard that rises above the Ventura River Trail, which is one of my favorite walks to take with Goldie. It said "Walk for Babies" and had these little baby footprints on it.

I don't know why but it really pulled me in. As we walked, I felt strangely drawn to it. I thought "Maybe I should do that."

That was an odd thought, because if you know me, you know that babies aren't among my top ten causes. As I always say about myself "Not much of a people person."

Then soemone I know got very involved in organizing the Los Angeles Walk for Babies, and I kept getting emails about joining. I kept thinking "Maybe I should do that."

Then Maddie died and my heart cracked open and so did the internet. I became one of hundreds of people who were inspired to March for Maddie.

The team in Los Angeles grew to over 100 people and more than $50,000 was donated to the March of Dimes by kind people like you. And you. And you.

And the Los Angeles team was only one of more than 50 in the country who were Marching for Maddie. One tiny girl inspired so much love, so much giving.

In Los Angeles, we walked yesterday. It was a beautiful day, a glorious day. All of us gathered on the steps of the Museum of Science and Industry dressed in purple like a big spill of Grape Kool-Aid.

I have always been kind of snotty and looked down on both USC AND sororities, but seeing Heather's sweet USC sorority sisters come out so strongly to support her made me drink a glass of my own Shut-Up Juice.

Heather and Mike spoke (well, Heather did the talking) and by the time they were done, about 90% of the audience was doing the ugly cry, me included.

Then we took a little 3 mile stroll around Los Angeles. 10,000 people. About 2,000 dogs and 1,000 baby strollers. A sea of goodwill stretched from curb to shining curb.

My favorite was the little boy of about 4 whose t-shirt showed him as a NICU preemie and said "I am a miracle!"

I just wanted to say thank you one more time to everyone who supported me. It means the world that you were there with me in my heart. Bless you all.

4 comments:

Julie @ The Mom Slant said...

I've got my ugly cry on. But such a beautiful day and a beautiful cause.

Glennis said...

So great to celebrate her life.

Jules said...

This was a very lovely post,i just read this and i was like i wanted to cry too.Have a wonderful day.;D

http://www.soloden.com

Anonymous said...

This is such a great post. I'm the co-captian of the March for Babies team at my office and it's so touching to hear other people's stories. Thank you for helping to make life better for babies everywhere.

Back to top